Advent Children mini-review

Neodevilbane

Master of the Martini
I'll just go ahead and say it.

Disappointed.

Everybody in the whole movie is some kind of pseudo Jedi/Neo Matrixian, 90% of the action shots are either robbed from one of the Matrix movies or are trying to one-up them.

And there's another problem. It's all action. Where's the character pieces, the heart of the story? It's just not there.

Here was the grandest opportunity for them to really give FF VII the wrap-up it deserved that even the developers of the original game admitted--due to time constraints & firm deadlines--they were unable to provide in the game itself.

Squeezing in Barret, Yuffie, Vincent, Cid, and Cait Sith (and why would the Shinra controller of Cait Sith still be bothering to remote control the Cait Sith robot 2 years after FFVII anyway? no explanation offered) is great to make fans go "ooooh! That's so-and-so from the game, that's tight!" but just throwing them into the movie with nothing to do is criminal.

They should have tightened the movie, take out half of the action scenes (which admittedly are remarkable) and focus more on Cloud's guilt towards Aeris (they were really on to something with this at the first flashback to Aeris in the movie, but then kind of just orphaned that subplot) and finally resolving the relationship between Cloud and Tifa, something they've left dangling since the middle of FF VII and isn't so much as even acknowledged in this movie.

It's almost like a 90-something minute preview for a movie we didn't get, I dunno.

And one last thing... I know Square-Enix is more or less a family-oriented company... but where's the blood? Everyone in the movie is a superman/superwoman that never so much as receives a scratch! Sephiroth's Great Katana is plunged into Cloud's shoulder and not even a drop of blood, people are pummeled left and right, slashed and cut... no scratches, no blood, NO POINT. Even the actual game of FF VII had a fair share of blood... look at Sephiroth after you beat him one on one in the last scene in the game. In this movie, Cloud basically does an Omnislash on him in their rematch and defeats him and he's still floating there... not a single blemish or scratch. C'mon... I would expect more even of a PG movie.

Curious as to other people's actual thoughts to the movie are after the initial glow of "oooo, look at the pretty fight scenes" wears off.

I liked it, but Ive only seen it once, I picked up on the story and was making some good conclusions with my brother, but I really should watch it again and look just at it story based, but I think thats the best SE could have done with a movie...

Look at Spirits Within, that sold like crap, total flop, people want action and pretty graphics, if you want a close to the story with a high degree of depth, tell SE to come out with a manga or another game to be able to cover the emmense time that it would take to finish everything off, one movie just cant do that in 1hr and 30 min.

I did sort of wish that they visited more of the characters, the only ones they really touched on were Cloud, Aeris (to an extent) and Tifa...then they had a bit of Vincent. All the rest of them were just joining in to fight what I believed to be Neo-bahamut then after that theyre gone. But again the length it would take would be much more than one movie...

I think that the story should also not be closed, that was the magic of it. It was full of little hints here and there and you never knew what had fully gone on, it left you thinking about everything, especially the end.

Ill post more once i watch it again.

Back