[5.5 Trailer] Huge Differences Between The Lines In Different Languages

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
I can only speak for the French version, as I don't speak German nor Japanese, but some lines sound very different from the English ones.

Please note that I couldn't recognize every character speaking, and may have misheard some parts where the sound effect are too loud. If you have any idea who's talking for the ones I labelled as "?", feel free to tell me.

Alphinaud EN : Our adversary moves against us in unprecedented numbers, compelling us to answer in (kind?). The outlook, in short, is bleak. Yet though our foes are (many), and we but few. [thud] We may still tip the balance in Eorzea's favour.

Alphinaud FR : I am still a shadow of myself, but someone recently told me he saw me as his friend, even in this deadful state [thud] I must keep fighting to honor his trust.

(Je ne suis toujours que l'ombre de moi-même, mais quelqu'un m'a récemment dit qu'il me considérait comme son ami même dans ce piteux état. [thud] Je dois donc continuer à me battre pour honorer sa confiance.)

Raubahn EN : Given the enemy's capabilities, we will all need to play our part if we were to have any chance of success. Should any here give less than their best, it would be at the cost of every living being on this star.

Raubahn FR : This crisis threatens the very existence of this planet, so let's not allow our old quarrels to spoil this historic time where all peoples work hand in hand to overcome it.

(Cette crise menace l'existence même de notre planète, alors ne laissons pas nos vieilles querelles gâcher ce moment historique où tous les peuples se donnent la main pour la surmonter.)

Fordola EN : You've got a pretty narrow view of what it means to be a hero, do you know that ? You think they're all forged in the fires of battle ? (that) they're about being (rave) and killing villains ?

Fordola FR : Why should a hero only prove his worth on a battlefield, wielding his weapon on his ennemies' head ?

(Pourquoi un héros ne pourrait prouver sa valeur que sur un champ de bataille en faisant valdinguer son arme sur la tête de ses ennemis ? )

? EN : (I know?) you'll never turn your back on those in need, never close your eyes to their suffering.

? FR : Swear to me that you will have the courage to move forward in spite of that. To save what's left. To save the world.

(Assurez-moi que vous aurez le courage d'avancer en dépit de cela. Pour sauver ce qui reste. Pour sauver le monde.)

? EN : What in Rhalgr's name happened here ?!

? FR : What is that ?

(Qu'est-ce que c'est que ça ?)

Fordola EN : The battlefield's littered with would-be heroes. At this rate, you'll all be next !

Fordola FR : (Sooner or later, your sentimentalism and your indecision will be your downfall)

(Tôt ou tard, ton sentimentalisme et ton indécision te perdront.)

Fandaniel EN : Destroy them ! Destroy them all !

Fandaniel FR : May the gods' wrath strike you !

(Que la colère des dieux s'abatte sur vous !)

Fandaniel EN : Don't you dare ! We came together and we're leaving together !

Fandaniel FR : I will protect you ! I can do it too !

(Je te protègerai ! Moi aussi j'en suis capable !)

Zenos EN : (While I await you ?), I shall drink a sea of souls... and gorge myself upon the darkened moon.

Zenos FR : My ire shall burn the universe. And my hatred will be limitless.

(Ma colère consumera l'univers. Et ma haine sera sans limites.)

I can only guess that Alphinaud is talking about Estinien. Fandaniel's lines are also interesting, as it would imply he's trying to protect someone. As for Zenos, his lines sound a lot more generic in French, which is a shame.

Does any German or Japanese speaker could tell if those lines sound any different in these languages ?

submitted by /u/Sairanox
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Back